Lately the boys have been karate chopping and kung fu kicking all around the house. They tie their Valentine's Day snakes around their waist and pretend they are in full Ninja gear. I had wondered where all of this was coming from until a co-worker mentioned he had taken his kids to see the new Kung Fu Panda movie. Then it all clicked...this is the perfect theme for the next 'Outing with Mommy'. And since Hubby is off working (gallivanting) in Ireland and will miss Father's Day it is also the perfect time for another adventure.
This adventure is thankfully not nearly as complex as the last and will be an easy hit with boys. It also wouldn't be complete without some cute panda stuff. Hello Panda snacks from Japan are the perfect accompaniment and I was inspired to make some *Ninja Pandas*. These cute little guys were easy to whip up using a sewing machine, but if you don't have a machine you can still easily make them. Here are the steps I followed:
- Trace pattern on black felt using a light colored pencil. I will try to upload my pattern soon.
- Pin two pieces of black felt together and sew on pencil line & then cut out around sewn bear. Make sure to leave a small opening on the side of one leg to stuff the bear. (No Sew Alternative Step: cut out Ninja Panda and whip stitch two sides together).
- Cut out ninja mask using white felt.
- Cut out eyes from black felt. Use a folded over piece of felt so eyes will be the same shape.
- Glue eyes to ninja mask using fabric glue.
- Use white embroidery floss to make one stitch in each eye. Tie off after each stitch.
- Glue Ninja mask to Panda body with fabric glue.
- Stuff Panda (push in filling with pencil or chopstick). Whip stitch the opening closed.
- Admire your Ninja Panda!
And in case you don't already know, J. would want me to tell you that Ninjas always land on their feet.