These cards that K has recently created are just amazing! I really love them all and I am hoping that M and I are lucky enough to get some post office v-day love. (Fingers crossed).
A couple of weeks ago I came across a very cute Valentine's day project that made me instantly think about K. Anyone who knows her, knows that she is completely holiday crazy, (in a crafty non Christmas sweater kind of a way), but there are a couple holidays that she really goes all out for (Valentine's day is definitely one of them!). I knew that this would be a perfect little gift for her!
While I thought the pattern was really easy and great (and easy enough for a beginner), I made a few minor adjustments:
1. Instead of tracing the heart shape onto my fabric, I just used a scrap of paper to create a heart template that I pinned directly to my fabric and just cut around.
2. I used the pinking shears on my sewn heart before I added the filling. (Leave the side of the heart with the opening un-pinked).
3. I liked a pretty full heart and I found that if I pushed all the stuffing and held it at bay with a long straight pin, sewing up the opening was a lot easier.
Overall, this was a wonderful little project--- a great way to use up your beloved fabric scraps. A nice way to spend a few hours (and the couple people I have gifted these hearts to also seemed very pleased). Oh yeah, definitely gets high marks on the "instant gratification" scale.
Here are a few resources where you can buy lavender buds:
1. www.thelavenderpath.com (I got my lavender from here and I literally had my lavender within two days of my order. Their shipping was mind boggling fast…)
2. www.sevenoakslavenderfarm.com (I have not used their products, but I have heard great things)
3. Smith & Hawken (most expensive option, but still an option)